COCONUT AND MANGO BUCKWHEAT BIRCHER
Bircher is a failsafe breakfast that can made in batches and kept in the fridge for a few days and a dish I come back to every week. For a variation, buckwheat groats have a wholesome, denser texture, plus they're gluten free, something here at ROOTED we are always conscious of keeping to a minimum. Like bircher, the recipe is easy but the texture and taste knocks the socks off a traditional bircher. Get creative with the fruits you blend in - banana and blueberries work well too. This recipe however is a real sweet treat with the natural sweetness of mango and the nourish coconut. Here goes:
For the bircher
- one handful cashew nuts
- two tablespoons chia seeds
- 60g buckwheat
- half a mango
- 75 - 150ml coconut milk (depending on your preferred consistency)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup (optional - this is already naturally sweet from the ripe mango)
- tablespoon goji berries (between the two bowls)
- 2 tablespoons coconut chips (1 each)
- 2 tablespoons raw cacao nibs (1 each - great for extra crunch)
- 1 tablespoon sunflower seeds (between the two bowls)
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds (between the two bowls and just because it looks nice)
- pinch of pink Himalayan salt
- one teaspoon coconut oil
The night before, soak the chia seeds, cashews and buckwheat in a bowl with the chia seeds at the bottom. The next morning rinse in a sieve (chia now at the top so don't get stuck in the small holes!) and place in a blender.
Add the rest of the ingredients until you get a smooth texture, which should take around 3 minutes. The first time you do this, mix 75ml of coconut milk first to test the water with consistency - I prefer mine quite thick but you can always add more.
Add the toppings and serve. Have a play with other flavours...almond milk works just as well banana and almond or cashew butter for a nuttier flavour. It's a an absolute winner!